Links & Info

Rescue/Adoption Links

Harmful people food & medication

  • Just because it works for humans, doesn’t mean it’s good for your dog. Over the counter pain relievers like, aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen are extremely toxic to dogs and cats. They can cause gastric ulcers, liver damage, kidney failure and sometimes death.
  • Avocados contain a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue. It is highly toxic to dogs, cats and most animals.
  • Alcoholic beverages can cause vomiting and damage the liver and brain.
  • Walnuts and macadamia nuts are especially toxic. Effects can be anything from vomiting to paralysis to death. Within 12 hours of eating the nuts, pets start to develop symptoms such as an inability to stand or walk, vomiting, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature), weakness, and an elevated heart rate. These symptoms can be even worse if your dog eats some chocolate with the nuts. The effect can cause kidney failure, often leading to death.
  • Chocolate contains theobromine, which can kill your pet if eaten in large quantities. Theobromine can cause a dog or cat’s heart to beat very rapidly or irregularly, which could result in death if the pet is exercising or overly active.
  • bigstock-golden-retriever-in-field-whea-26472305Xylitol-sweetened candy (found in diet products) can cause a sudden drop in an animal’s blood sugar, loss of coordination and seizures. If left untreated, the animal could die.
  • Coffee, tea or other caffeine drinks stimulate an animal’s heart and nervous system. This can lead to restlessness, heart palpitations and death, depending on how much the animal consumes.
  • Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can be deadly. And the effects are cumulative, which means that even if a dog eats just one or two grapes or raisins regularly, the toxin that builds in his system will eventually kill him.
  • Onions can be highly toxic to pets. They can destroy an animal’s red blood cells and lead to anemia, weakness and breathing difficulties. Their effects are also cumulative over time.